Teh Slax Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vent and recruiting

5 posters

Go down

Vent and recruiting Empty Vent and recruiting

Post  zedy Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:06 pm

I know I'm not the only one who has noticed that our active raiding roster has started to dwindle over the last few weeks, and as such I think it is time we try to figure out why we can't seem to get many recruits interested in joining us.  From talking to Las who has been trying to recruit people it seems a lot of them are turned off by the thought of not using some sort of voice coms program such as vent or team speak.  

So perhaps it is time we re-evaluate that policy as the majority of people who were dead set against it are no longer with the guild.  Having no voice coms worked great in vanilla, bc, and wrath as there were only a few viable guilds that people could choose from on Ursin.  They had to either choose one of the 3 guilds that were raiding or transfer off.  Sadly with the transfer to a bigger server coupled with cross realm raiding people no longer have to choose us to raid with.  It has gone from a buyers market to a sellers, meaning we need the recruits more then the recruits need us.  So why choose us over another guild that is just as far along in progression as we are but use vent.  Most people are lazy and like to have their hands held and vent lets that happen, so we are going to lose a lot of recruits just for that alone.

Going to a new guild is hard enough, but the one thing that vent does is helps you create connections with people and make them feel more like part of the team.  At the start of brf I had almost half the raid in my vent talking about strats and helping each other out with spec questions and just having a good time talking to each other.  After the raid was over several of us went on to play some League of Legends and had a blast watching Lokky try to adc.  Vent is amazing at making connections like that with other raiders outside of the raid environment. I remember back in insomnia people were on vent 24/7 playing other games or just talking to each other while questing.  What is going to happens when we hit a Brutalis size wall in content?  People are more likely willing to stick it out if they have an actual connection to the people they have been joking with and talking to for months verse some random guys I talk to in guild chat.  

I want you to ask yourself the question, why are you still in this guild?  For me it boils down to the simple fact that I like the people I raid with and killing dargons is still fun as hell.  Slax has always been about killing some bosses with friends and having a good time.  I think it still is, I just think it is time we evolve as a guild so that we can continue to do so.

Zed

zedy

Back to top Go down

Vent and recruiting Empty Recruitment

Post  Chainwaxx Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:55 pm

I've tried to recruit some people but they got denied cause wasn't "ilvl" whatever. But three of those guys been on like everyday since I talkd to them and that's just what we need some nerds to show up. So stop looking at ilvl's give people a chance they suck no inv they good bring em again, can't be picky at this point.

Also hard to recruit people when we're hardly 10m, vent may help but so many people Allrdy done it seems. . We shall see tonight what happens.

Chainwaxx

Back to top Go down

Vent and recruiting Empty Re: Vent and recruiting

Post  zedy Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Honestly who cares about ilvl right now, look at the people who aren't showing up right now, most of them have almost every item they need from brf and just got bored of farming for no reason. These guys at least will show up for every raid. And honestly we can't expect someone with a 700 ilvl will want to join us.

zedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pufftrees Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:17 pm

My outsider perspective now...

Voice chat is definitely a positive.  It should be implemented and encouraged.  We've shown success without it so don't need to not raid invite someone because they have a broken headset that night, but it should be used.  If you still have a vent up to use zed that would work, or we can get a mumble or teamspeak server.  I don't mind setting one up if there isn't one already.

Can't get blinded by gear when recruiting, especially when its very stale content.  It's about the person.  Will they be active, are they corp hoppers etc.  It does you no good to recruit a prime geared recruit, just to have them stop showing up, guild hop, or have a cancerous attitude.  Alternatively you don't want a guy who has bad gear because he is terrible and inactive.  That's why recruiting is difficult, but should emphasis on the activity.

Can they raid 3-4 nights a week or however often you raid, can they make raid times?  Are they in college with infinite freetime or are they a soccer mom that gets derailed by kids schedule.  So when recruiting someone, I would consider all the intangibles well above gear.  If they are active, and willing to learn, then give them a shot!

There is a new raid coming out eventually (i imagine) so should use that as a catalyst for recruiting.  A guild with a solid foundation should be able to recruit a few people to fill the gaps its missing, especially with flex raid.  You can do eeet!

Some of the officers definitely had a more elitist attitude this expansion, which caused at least 5 people to flat out quit Wow, but in the end it could certainly be a positive for the raiding experience.  The bar was raised a bit, theres no reason to lower it again, but don't let a good potential recruit sneak by just because of ilvl.  

I think an application being filled out isn't out of bounds... can even have a simple 10 question format 

Top of head:

1.  What timezone do you live in?
2.  What character are you applying to the guild for, what raiding role?
3.  What experience do you have raiding this expansion?
4.  Summarize your WOW raiding experience pre draenor.
5.  What real life obstacles can potentially cause you to miss a raid?  College HW, Wife, Kids, GF?
6.  Can you make our raid times?
7.  What do you expect to gain from joining teh Slax?
8.  Tell me something random about yourself.
9.  Do you play any other games?

Forcing someone to answer questions like this can give you a look into them as a potential recruit beyond simply a trial raid after you meet ilvl reqs.

Pufftrees
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pufftrees Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Plus I'd love to be able to log on and talk shit to everyone without actually getting on WOW since I don't have it installed on my laptop.

And yes, playing LoL or other games after the raid is awesome.  I haven't touched D3 in a while but seems people like to play it still.  I'm hooked on space atm.

Pufftrees
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zedy Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:02 pm

With me in charge of hiring at my work, I have to do a ton of interviews.  Honestly the best questions are not the scripted ones that people know the response to as they are just going to say what they know you are going to want to hear.  So the trick is to throw them some off the wall questions to see how their personality is.  One of my favorite questions is "what is your favorite Star Wars character and why?".  This forces them to think on their feet and can give you a glimpse into who they really are.  I've had some really good conversations with people about this and I can usually tell within 5-10 min if they are going to be a good fit for my bar.  

It is also good to be blunt with them, let them know how our guild works.  We are a mature guild that just wants to have fun and be semi hardcore while allowing for our members to have a life outside of wow and not feel that they have to dedicate 100% of their time to one game.

OH and always do interviews in some sort of vent/mumble as you can mask a lot of things by typing it. Talking is a different story.

zedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Pufftrees Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:27 pm

Great points Zed... I'll login when I'm home to try and get more feedback into this thread.

Do you still have your vent?  We have a mumble for EVE but not sure of player limit, think its only like 15.  I am down to help pay for setup etc if we need one though.

Pufftrees
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapphic Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:15 pm

I got a big mumble server for eve as puff mentioned above. I got a fair amount of slots in case you guys wanted to use it for raids.  

tehslax.mumbleserver.me

tehpassword

Hit me up on steam and i can give you admin rights.

Its funny you mention the random recruiting question, i did that all the time.  I enjoyed asking people strange questions about their life like "what brand of toilet paper do you use and why?".  Also, telling a story to guild when inviting new members was a good way of screening out who was a derp and who wasnt.  Even with the delay in chat you can tell who is thinking too hard about a question.  

Personally i think having a few derp member's isnt a bad thing, sometimes you just need numbers. There should be ranks so everyone knows who is good and who is a baddie though.  Also it gives incentive to advance, which i think is super important.  Little BS perks like free repairs for raids or raider ranks go along way for moral.  Everyone can learn to play wow effectively, it just happens at different speeds.  There is really no need for elitism anymore, wow turned into a pretty casual game relatively speaking.  I refuse to endorse voice comms though, lack of vent is the whole point of slax.  Stage a coup and create a new guild with a witty name imo. bounce

Sapphic

Back to top Go down

Post  Pufftrees Mon May 04, 2015 5:29 pm

Are you using a vent?  What's the info

Pufftrees
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaq Wed May 06, 2015 10:12 am

It's zed's. The same as before I think. He said unhelpfully.

Zaq

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down