Guild Wars 2 Early Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Guild Wars 2 Early Review

Post  Pufftrees on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:37 pm

Been playing since last Friday night and feel I've played enough to give a first review. I've taken at least 1000 screenshots since I started playing (yes the game looks that good) so I will update some of the better ones later. If you have a powerful computer this is a must play, although it's fine with lower.

Pufftrees
A human warrior (original), currently level 42. Warriors excel is the ability to master many weapons. Your character's abilities (1-5 on bar) change based on the weapon EQUIP. For example, a 2h greatsword has some nice bleeds, mobility, and high dps moves while a 2h Hammer has more knockbacks and stuns etc. Entirely different gameplay. My warrior can even use a 2h rifle or 2h greatbow... both giving 5 unique ranged abilities. To an untrained eye if you saw me playing this weekend with my Rifle you were probably asking what class I was. I am allowed to have 2 weapon setups (can change these out of combat), but in combat I can swap between my 2 preset weapons. For the most of my leveling I used 2h greatsword and rifle. I would start with rifle and slow and dps them down, then swap to sword and finish them. Currently I am using 2x1h axe and a greatsword and sticking with melle.

Leveling
This is where guild wars 100 percent crushes other mmo's: leveling. You can level up doing anything pretty much. Everyzone has tons to explore and jump puzzles with xp bonuses. A ton of random dynamic events pop up throughout the zone (think rift) and you have to run and do a public quest if you will with 10-50 people. No classic questing... its all about help someone so much, so you are never really sitting there competing for a quest mob. Gathering gives xp, profession making gives xp, exploring, pvp etc. My FAVORITE part is the downscaling of levels. My level 42 warrior can go to a level 25 zone that I've never done and I will be downscaled to 25. I have more abilities but I can help newbs and level there etc. And... ALL PVP scales to 80. You can literally pvp at 80 asap.

Professions
Currently weaponsmith and tailor. Everyone can always gather EVERYTHING in the game (with a gathering tool). And the best part, you can put useful materials in a materials special bank from anywhere. So when my bags are full I can simply click deposit collectable and they all go to my bank, sweet! Actually leveling the profession is challenging and not just make 10x of this. You want to make new items you don't know how to make to get lots of xp.

Tyria
My god this world is beautiful, and HUUGE. I've explored so little. Nice changes in scenery, long view distance, sick graphics, lots of ambience and foliage etc. I've taken so many SS's lol. The beauty in this game makes me feel in awe like I did with WoW in 2005.

Of course, this is only level 1-40 review. I imagine the endgame is lacking and the pve dungeons. But the grand epic scale of things is so nice. And NO MONTHLY fee ftw.

Pufftrees
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Guild Wars 2 Early Review

Post  Sapphic on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:50 pm

I like the way you described the scaling, and no monthly fee is pretty win. Tempting bounce

Sapphic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hak on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm only level 10 and loving it. Granted the endgame PvE isn't going to be anything remotely close to WoW, so IDK how that will go. The PvP though is definitely entertaining, you're able to access structured PvP (BGs and Tournament BGs that I guess are like RBGS or possibly arena) at 80 once your character hits level 2. You're given a starter set of PvP gear and access to all your talents/abilites. The PvP feels pretty solid, having played a majority of the classes it feels like there is definitely going to be a pretty high skill cap.

Hak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zedy on Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:24 am

Well what I like best about their raids is that you can't mask your abilities with gear upgrades because there aren't any. From what they said shortly after you hit 80 you will have the best gear possible, there are no upgrades till the expac. Boss kills are for pure pleasure and sense of achievement nothing more. RIP loot whores.

zedy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pufftrees on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Some clarity on the loot whoring.

There certainly is very powerful loot to get and it does matter. There isn't gear check pve fights like in WoW though, they usually revolve around skillful play (avoiding avoidable stuff, dodging attacks, ressing others etc).

In the tournament style (BG) PVP queue this is where everyone has gear that is normalized. The only thing you really gain is different looking gear or different stat combinations. These are the 8v8 (I think) battlegrounds that are very fun and balanced. You can queue for these instantly upon playing (you're given the level 80 gear set that everyone else has). You're pvp level is all you see in these tournaments and they go up. So everyone starts at pvp level 1 but everyone is 80 with same item level gear.

Now as far as crafting gear, epics, rare drops etc... they definitely vary in power. I was watching Kungen's stream (nhilium kungen) and the guy is an absolute monster. In the WvWvW pvp (gigantic outdoor pvp zone with 3 servers fighting), your current gear DOES matter. You get scaled up to 80 so everyone can participate but in WvWvW you still see your current level, and you can actually level up to 80 in here. There is a large difference from a fresh 80 and Kungens gear that's for sure :O

Still HIGHLY recommend this game, for 60 bucks you really can't go wrong. I had to take a break from it because I felt like WoW2005 and was getting a lil too hooked.

Also Zed...
We should probably consider taking advantage of the free transfers. I originally picked the server for Kripparian but that was a waste. Teamliquid has a large guild (guessing at least 50) people on another server and they would welcome us. Or we can try to find a guild to join, or simply recruit for <SLAX>

Pufftrees
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zedy on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Don't matter to me, and Moe I'm sure doesn't care either. Just let us know either way.

zedy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoopy89 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 am

Picked this up a couple days ago, only level 15 but having a blast so far!

Shoopy89

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pufftrees on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:42 am

Ok I talked with the guys from teamliquid.net

They have a guild of about 150 players, they said typically 30-50 active at a time.

We are all welcome to join NP at all no questions asked.

Server: Ehmry Bay

I have no idea how the server is, but with free transfers lets just go for it. Will be nice to have instance groups, outdoor world, or pvp groups available. Not to mention item trading and stuff.

The only rule is you have to know who Jaedong is!

Pufftrees
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pufftrees on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:58 am

I won't be online until 6pm+ tonight, so I can get us in the guild at that point.

If you are working tonight Zed and want to do it before then, if you give me your name/number id... for you and Moe... I can tell them to invite you. Instead of a direct recruiting officer I will just post our ID's on the TL forum and we get invites.

Pufftrees
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  zedy on Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Ok, Moe and I transfered. I work all night so my name is zedy.9608, Moe's is joefleef.5643, genki's is praxis.4690.

zedy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pufftrees on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Ok great, I will post your ID's on the Teamliquid GW2 forums and you should expect an invite this afternoon.

If for some reason they don't get around to it I'll make sure we get taken care of tonight.

Pufftrees
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hak on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:48 am

My id is slv.2835. I xferred over, late to the party though. This semester has started off at a pretty fast pace, and has kept me from having much freetime.

Last edited by Hak on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Hak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapphic on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:28 pm

I picked this up last week, but haven't gotten around to playing it much. I'm still on the original server but my ID is Sapphic.4786

Sapphic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top