Teh Slax Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer Guru Request

+3
zedy
Pufftrees
Zaq
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Computer Guru Request - Page 2 Empty Re: Computer Guru Request

Post  Sapphic Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:31 pm

lol at uninstalling the usb drivers.  good story.  As merm said, when you reinstall windows, you should just reformat your drive, because you are gonna have to install every program again.  Wow was unique that you could just copy the folder from place to place and have it work.  

As far as the fans go I think you are putting way to much effort into those graphs.  Just set it to automatic...fan comes on when hot, fan turns off when cool.  I think the real problem lies with the fans on the gpu being too noisy for your taste.  I cant even hear when my gpu fans come on.  

Honestly, I don't think you have much of a problem.  Are you using AC in your house?  If not this would drive the temps up because the ambient air temp.  You should have an intake and exhaust fan in your case.  This is important to get the hot air out of your case. I did a bit of detective work and just re-checked out your pictures and I noticed the real root of your problem, it has nothing to do with RPMS or graphs.  

When you installed your cpu cooler, your exhaust fan is pointing straight down into your video card.  Look at your computer, then look at the heat sink in the picture merm posted.  See how the air is blowing out of the case in his setup?  This is why your cpu temp is fine, but your gpu is hotter than normal.  All your cpu heat is blowing straight into the bottom of your card.  This also explains why your fans are turning on when you graphics card isnt really doing anything but your cpu is, like when windows is loading.

Turn your heat sink around and your temps will go down.  Or mount the fan on the other side, just make sure its blowing out, not in.  Did you install an intake fan?  If not this would probably get the hot air out quick enough to not make it problematic.  So you have some options.  I would pick up a cheap fan from some place local if you dont have one on the front and one on the back regardless what you do.  Turning on the AC will help too.

As far as controlling the fans, I just use the amd drivers and keep the fan set to automatic. I installed as little crap from the mobo and gpu manufactuer as possible.  If the fan noise still drives your crazy return it and get a different brand, or buy a nice pair of headphones.

Sapphic

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaq Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:28 am

Surely I am not that incompetent.

Great News Everyone!  I'm not that incompetent.  Fans arrow indicates that it's pushing air over the cooler towards the top, not pulling hot ass breath down.  This has been tentatively confirmed with the science of sticking my hand in there and see which way air is moving.

Things are more or less working now, held together by prayers and thoughts of duct-tape.

The issue never was the gpu getting too hot, just the fans deciding to max out and stay maxed out.  Something somewhere in the system tells the fans to live like Ricky Bobby and just go fast all the time.  Fortunately, sort of, the MSI fan thing has restored order.  Even if the fans kick up to max they'll be leveled out in a couple of seconds.  As stuff is more or less working I'm not going to break everything again without need.

Zaq

Back to top Go down

Post  Sapphic Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Zaq wrote:Surely I am not that incompetent.

Well you did just uninstall your usb drivers Wink

Glad to hear you got it sorted more or less.

Sapphic

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoopy89 Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Nice upgrade Zaq! I am upgrading from my fisher price laptop as well! Everything should be getting here sometime this week. I am super stoked.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Shoopy89/saved/Dv26Mp

Shoopy89

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoopy89 Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:32 am

Got the rest of my parts in yesterday and finished putting everything together last night. Very satisfied with everything, so far everything is running very smooth! Forgot to take pics as I was putting it all together but here is a shot of my battle station! Computer Guru Request - Page 2 20141011
Monitor is temporary, my http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014377 should be arriving tomorrow!

Shoopy89

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaq Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:15 pm

I hope that's "Thunder" as in THUNDERCATS!

Zaq

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoopy89 Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:29 pm

Zaq wrote:I hope that's "Thunder" as in THUNDERCATS!
I am not that cool, sorry! It's the NBA team.

Shoopy89

Back to top Go down

Post  Pufftrees Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:20 pm

Now you have a strong enough computer to play....

WoW!

Pufftrees
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoopy89 Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:01 am

I am definitely leaning towards playing again atm. I just don't see D3 holding my interest for a whole lot longer.

Shoopy89

Back to top Go down

Post  Zaq Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:58 am

Depending on how much MoP you played you might want to wait a another week or two.  As Sapph just said last night, beyond the cloak chain the only things worth doing are the bullshit you concoct for yourself.  Like trying to solo 0-Light Yogg (I failed).  I guess that's fairly common on the pre-expat patch, but was worth mentioning.  If it'll all be new to you anyway then there's probably enough to do.

Zaq

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoopy89 Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:14 am

I didn't play MoP at all.

Shoopy89

Back to top Go down

Post  Mermann Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:36 am

me and zaq are very active atm, sapphic log in time to time around sunday,monday and tuesday. we have goldie too and Hoshin. so you wouldnt feel as lonely hehehe.

on the plus side, we are casual leveling some alts, so theres always something to do within the guild. you are welcome to join us Very Happy.

Mermann

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum